Having difficulty in reading. On eurothomycin ointment for cornea infection. Any suggestion?

I am having problems with my vision. I wear glasses and otherwise have no history of eye problems. About six months ago a condition started. When I am reading, a sentence or maybe 2, the words start to fade out quickly, to continue to read I have to look away and then start again. At first it was just that simple. It has progressively gotten worse, I have to start again and again and eventually stop reading altogether. I have seen an opthlamologist 2X, each time he said I had a cornea infection and prescribed eurothomycin ointment for 10 days of dose in left eye. Both times I complained about the reading fading problem and he said that was not a priority and did not schedule a follow up. I am currently on the ointment now. My grandmother had glaucoma and most of my mother's family and my mother had cataracts, my grandfather on maternal size was blind from them. Please consider this and whether I need a specialist.
Posted Wed, 27 Nov 2013 in Vision and Eye Disorders
Answered by Dr. Dadapeer K 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Yes you require consultation with Specialist. Detailed Answer: Hello, Welcome to Health Care Magic It seems from the history you are having difficulty in reading a sentence or words and you also seem to have infection of cornea in left eye for which you are on treatment with Erythromycin ointment. You have also mentioned history of glaucoma to grandmother and cataract to mother and her family. As your doctor has mentioned corneal infection is the first priority to be treated as it can lead to complications like corneal ulcer if not treated. Hence it has to be treated aggressively before you are treated for the problem of difficulty in reading. The complaint of difficulty in reading is probably because of age related changes of decrease in accommodative power and changes in the lens which require to be treated by glasses. Since corneal infection can itself lead to decrease in vision, it is better to get glasses done after the infection is cured. Hence I advice you to consider consulting specialist for treatment of corneal infection and then for treatment of difficulty in reading. Since you have mentioned about family history of glaucoma you need to be evaluated for galucoma also. Hope I have answered your query. Thank you