Having difficulty in chewing roti or any other food. Using sensodyne tooth paste. Guide?

Iam 58 years old a professor employed. I did not have any problem of teeth till i started feeling cold water , lemon water etc. I started sensodyne tooth paste it was ok for some time but of late I started feeling that I can not chew roti or any food. It looks that I have no power or strength to chew. If I forcefully do it pains a little. Otherwise no other clinical symptoms. what is this and what should I do. I am in trouble.I have never visited to a dentist.Please advice I would be thankful to you.
Dr P D Juyal
Posted Thu, 20 Jun 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 2 hours later

Caries or infection of the tooth results in erosion of the outer coating called enamel which causes hypersensitivity to the cold and acidic liquids. This happens due to exposed neural elements due to erosion of the enamel.

Also due to caries there could be formation of cavity from the inside of the tooth resulting in weakness of the tooth at the roots and loosening of the tooth which makes biting a painful process.

The tooth may appear normal externally but the cavity and infection would be flourishing in the inside of the tooth. You may have to get a root canal treatment of the affected tooth to get rid of the symptoms. Do consult a dentist who can perform the procedure and help you.

Meanwhile you can take a pain killer like Naproxen and a course of antibiotics to reduce the infection and ready the tooth for the procedure.

Hope I answered your query.

Please let me know if there are any other concerns.

Follow-up: Having difficulty in chewing roti or any other food. Using sensodyne tooth paste. Guide? 6 hours later
Thank you for your reply
However I would like to point it out that this problem is not in one tooth but whole jaw.Yes definitely I may go to Dentist today as I had never been to dentist in my whole life as my teeth were O K..The pain is not all the time its only when I chew or put pressure on the food.
Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 17 hours later

Thanks for writing back.

Caries in single tooth do sometimes present with tenderness in the entire jaw due to the inflammation in the socket and referred pain due to the crowded nerve supply.

Need not worry, the symptoms you have are typical and are commonly presented in caries. Dentist after examination would confirm the fact.

Wish you good health.