Having difficulty in breathing. Had bloating problem so prescribed omee and rabeprazole sodium. Get white sputum when exposed to dust. Cause?

Jun 2015

hi doctor,

i went to a family doc complaining about occasional difficulty in breathing...he checked my bp (130/90) and saturation was 99%..he told chest was clear and also no wheezing,no cough. he ruled out any asthma as of now....went to cardio a month back he told my heart is ok after ecg and echo..

1)i have bloating problem so he told it might be GERD has given omee d(1-0-0 15 days) and rabeprazole sodium and domperidone capsule(0-0-1 15 days )
2) i get white sputum when i'm exposed to bed dust , so he idententified it to be the problem of my breathing diff along with bloating... so he has prescribed montelukast sodium and levocetirizine dihydrochloride (10mg+5mg 0-0-1 for 30 days)

i admit i have bloating problem and i am taking those two tablets..but i dont want to take montelukast sodium and levocetirizine dihydrochloride tablet...cos i am thinking that it'll be higher on higher dose side and what i need is little milder medication....

so doctor my question is
1) shall i take Cetrizine instead ( half of 10 mg before i sleep) ???
2)if not can u suggest me any alternative for dust allergy inddor( no itching , no watery eyes, just white sputum)??
3) Diet that thins sputum
4)Main victims of bloating??? (why do i think m not getting enuf oxygen when i have perfect o2 level :(

Sorry i had to type so long... i wanted to give u full medical history

Thank you in advance doctor:)waiting..
Posted Mon, 24 Jun 2013 in Lung and Chest disorders
Answered by Dr. Polash Sannigrahi 56 minutes later

1. Levocetirizine dihydrochloride is an active principle of cetirizine, which is more effective & has less side effects than cetirizine.
Montelukast preparations, is used as a maintenance therapy to relieve symptoms of seasonal allergies.
I think that you may consult your physician about taking cetrizine instead.

2. In your post you have mentioned your location as Bangalore.
Climate-wise Bangalore is a very nice place.
However, one thing you need to be concerned about is the traffic & pollution in certain areas of the city.
A face mask should be used while traveling through those areas as well as when exposed to bed dust.
Alternatively you can take tablet Allegra (Fexofenadine) 60 mg twice a day, under the guidance of your Doctor.

3. Sputum can be thinned out by maintaining adequate hydration & avoiding cold food and drinks.
Steam inhalation therapy will also be helpful.

4. The reasons of not getting enough Oxygen (difficulty in breathing) is due to the hyper responsiveness of your respiratory mucosa to the allergens like dust.
Saturation levels of 99% indicate that your Hemoglobin is saturated with oxygen.
So, the main problem lies in the region of intake, that is, respiratory tract.

5. The individuals with GERD often present with respiratory symptoms.
This is attributed to the refluxed acid entering the respiratory tract & irritation of the respiratory mucosa.
And as you are taking medications for GERD, the risk factor is decreased.

Hope I have been able to answer your questions.
Kindly let me know if you have any further queries.