Having diarrhoea, blood in stool and severe pain in tailbone area. Is this related to low potassium level?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Jan 2013
Jan 2013

Question
My husband has been having severe pain in the tailbone area. It can happen anytime during the day or night. The worst is at night which is so bad he wakes up and is up for 1-2 hrs at a time, sometimes being so painful it brings tears to his eyes. He also has had unbelievable diarreah and lots of red blood in his stool or by itself. I had him to emerge a few weeks ago, all they found was he was low in potassium. He has lost about 22 lbs. in the past 5 weeks. The diarreah has subsided as well as the bleeding since taking a pill for low potassium. Is this related? We really need to know what is causing this pain and how to rid him of it. Is there a specialist he can see about this? Please help. Thank you
Posted Thu, 30 Aug 2012 in Digestion and Bowels

Answered by Dr. Mayank Bhargava 1 hour later
Hi XXXXXX,
Thanks for posting query.
Your husband should urgently go for colonoscopy as he may have some growth in large intestine (history of weight loss, blood in stool, diarrhea, pain at tail bone).
You should also consult with gastro-physician and surgeon simultaneously.
Taking pain killer is not a good option and you should go for detail evaluation.
Let me know your views and result of colonoscopy.
Hope for the best,
Dr. Mayank Bhargava

Follow-up: Having diarrhoea, blood in stool and severe pain in tailbone area. Is this related to low potassium level? 4 hours later
Thank you answering so quickly. My husband had a colonoscopy 4 yrs ago and everything was good. You think he should have another one? Also, do we ask to see a gastro-physician before the colonoscopy? I ask this only because he will be on a waiting list for both procedures. One may come faster than the other though. I am assuming you are in the USA... we are from Canada. I don't know if things run the same here as they do there or not. Thank you for your time.

Answered by Dr. Mayank Bhargava 6 hours later
He must go for colonoscopy..if all things are normal then this is very satisfactory for us.
All the best,
Sincerely,
Dr. Mayank Bhargava

Follow-up: Having diarrhoea, blood in stool and severe pain in tailbone area. Is this related to low potassium level? 1 hour later
Hello Dr. Bhargava,
Just wanted to let you know, we just got home from emerge. The Dr. handling the case tonight is pretty sure my husband has colitis. He has him scheduled for a colonoscopy next week as well. Fingers crossed this will be the end of the nightmare fore the last 5 weeks. Thank you for your input. I appreciated it very much.

Answered by Dr. Mayank Bhargava 5 hours later
Thanks for admiring with precious words.
All the best.
Dr. Mayank

Follow-up: Having diarrhoea, blood in stool and severe pain in tailbone area. Is this related to low potassium level? 8 days later
Hello Dr. Maynak,
Well my husband had the colonoscopy and it has come back that he has rectal cancer. The dr also ordered an MRI to see if it has spread. He is pretty confident that it hasn't. Now we wre waiting for a call from the Cross Cancer Institute in Edmonton, Alberta to go for another MRI and assessment. So far all we know is they will be giving him radiation to shrink the tumor and then operate to remove and he will most likely have a colonoscopy bag the rest of his life. That is fine with us. At least we know he will be around for many more years. I thank you for your input.

Answered by Dr. Mayank Bhargava 23 minutes later
So thank god...ultimately disease is diagnosed.
Hope for rapid recovery.
Thanks,
Dr. Mayank Bhargava

Thank you. We hope so too.

Answered by Dr. Mayank Bhargava 22 minutes later
OK,
with best regards,
Dr. Mayank