Having diarrhoea and soft stools. Having lower back pain and cramps. Suggest the treatment?

General Surgeon
Question
for almost two weeks i have been having like diareha and soft stools and i never know when i will have to go--only small amount at a time-with lower back pain and cramps--never feel like i am emptied out--my usual habit is to have my coffee in the morning and shortly after i go poop--usually that is my normal routine--now i go sometinmes 2-3-one day 5 times --something is wrong but how do i treat it??
Posted Sat, 31 Aug 2013 in Back Pain

Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 18 minutes later
Hello!

Thank you for the query.

Your diarrhea can be caused by intestinal infection (bacterial most likely). Your back pain is probably caused by long lasting diarrhea urinary tract gets infected. You may also suffer from lower abdominal pain, frequent urinating, burning while urinating, fever.
As you are over the age of 50, colon cancer should be taken into consideration. You need to know that every person older than 50 should have colonoscopy every 10 years. its because the risk of colon cancer significantly increases in that age.
Moreover, one of the colon cancer symptoms can be diarrhea. Other possible symptoms are weight loss, nausea, abdominal pain, loss of appetite.
Other possible reason of your symptoms is hypothyroid.

I suggest you to have stool tests, stool culture test, urine analysis and blood work first. You should also get scheduled for colonoscopy.

If you do suffer from infection, please ask your doctor about Rifaximine treatment.

Hope this will help. Feel free to ask further questions.
Regards.

Follow-up: Having diarrhoea and soft stools. Having lower back pain and cramps. Suggest the treatment? 26 minutes later
my stomach also feels bloated and hard sometimes-? also i do not have insurance so how can i get these test done?

Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 34 minutes later
Bloated abdomen can be also colon cancer symptom. You definitely should have mentioned tests done.
Please try on ER, maybe they will help you.

Regards.

Follow-up: Having diarrhoea and soft stools. Having lower back pain and cramps. Suggest the treatment? 28 minutes later
what is ER?thank u

Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 30 minutes later
ER is Emergency Room. Its a kind of acute cases department which should be in every hospital. It is used to diagnose and admit acute cases.

Regards.