Having diarrhea with brown to yellow color. Have abdominal pain. No nausea or vomiting. What can this be?

Mar 2013
Hi, I have been having diarrhea for four days now that does not go away and it's light brown to dark yellow color but not really watery. I have some lower abdominal pain but at the same time I have my period. I have no nausea or vomiting but I am extremely hungry all the time.
Posted Mon, 26 Aug 2013 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 17 minutes later

It is common for some women during their period to experience diarrhea, due to the hormonal levels present in the body.

You seem to be suffering from gastroenteritis though, as you are having pain and unrelenting diarrhea.
You should consult your health practitioner right away, and consider treatment for the diarrhea.
Meanwhile, take plenty of fluids, and eat home cooked light food like soup, yoghurt etc
do not stay hungry.

If conventional management does not stop the diarrhea, your doctor might prescribe antibiotics, after stool culture.