Having diabetes, taking Gemer, Galvus, Azator but have fluctuating sugar level. Advised insulin mixtard. Suggest?

I am 59 years old lady having diabtis for last 16 years. At present I am taking 1 tab.Gemer PL2 + 1 tab Galvus 50mg twice a day morning and evening.+ 1 tab Azator ASP75 in evening. With this my blood sugar level is 160 Fasting 220 PP.
Doctor is advising me to shift to insulin mixtard 30/70 10 units in morning and 5 units in evening. I want to avoid taking insulin. Please advise
Posted Thu, 10 Oct 2013 in Diabetes
Answered by Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 52 minutes later
Brief answer...can try some other oral medications before shifting to injectable insulin.

Detailed answer...
Once a person is diabetic for more than 5 years, his beta cells population in his pancreas starts dwindling and gradually the blood sugar control is lost. These beta cells are responsible for production of insulin.
Gradually a stage is reached when beta cells are completely destroyed and at this stage oral antidiabetics loose their efficacy and one needs injectable insulin to control the blood sugar levels.

However we can still try some other oral medications which can control your blood sugar levels, hopefully for some more time.
1..You can add more METFORMIN to your regime because you are taking only 500 mg twice a day at the moment in form of GEMER PL2 ( glimmipride and metformin combination ).
2. You can add a drug called as VOGLIBOSE in dose of .3 mg twice or thrice a day.
This drug belongs to alpha glucosidase inhibitor class.
3. You can even add injection LANTUS( long acting insulin ) in once a day dose if you are comfortable with one injection per day.
Discuss with your doctor about these possibilities.

I hope it helps; however you may revert to me for any further query.

Best of luck