Having diabetes and an endometrial ablation. Not having menses. Took metformin, losartan and prozac. Does menopause affect diabetes?

I am a 50&1/2 year old type 2 diabetic. I strongly suspect I am in menopause. I had an endometrial ablation 3 years ago so I do not have menses anymore because of that so I do not know if I am amenorrhea. I currently take metformin, losartan and prozac. Does menopause affect my diabetes? Can I start HRT to get some relief from hot flashes and frequent sweating?
Posted Fri, 23 Aug 2013 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. Rhea Chanda 24 minutes later
Hi Redbetty
Hot flashes and night sweats are definitely signs of menopause. Due to the ablation you may not have menses, but the hormonal changes in your body have started now.This is just a phase, that will be relieved in a few months. Diabetes ,per say,doesnt have any effect on the menopause. If you handle the symptoms of menopause, i assure you your symptoms will be relieved in a few months. I would recommend HRT only if you are unable to function in your daily life. Thats because hormones used in HRT can be diabetogenic and you will need to be monitored closely. If you cant handle the symptoms at all, then see your doctor about the medication.Meanwhile start some calcium supplements.