Having diabetes and MS. Itching under the toes and along the bottom edges of feet. Suggest medication

I have diabetes and MS and am experiencing severe itching under the toes and along the bottom edges of the feet. What can I do to calm the itch?
Posted Tue, 12 Nov 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Prasad 57 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Try antifungal preparations...

Detailed Answer:

Itchy feet especially under the toes and edges of feet can be related to diabetes and age. Let me explain that before I provide you with solutions.
High blood sugars and less sensitive nerves provides favorable environment to make bacteria and fungus thrive prosperiously. Further dryness and broken skin or excess moisture can make these areas susceptible to infection leading to itching and harmful problems.

I would consider fungal infections as the primary reason of itchy feet.

You can try candid lotion which are available over the counter on the affected areas. Keep the area clean and dry. If there are visible cracks and broken skin, apply good moisturing agents along with antifungal agents.

Long standing diabetes sometimes can affect the way peripheral nerves functions resulting in itching and burning sensation. If 10 days of candid lotion application fails to give you relief, I would advice you to undergo tests to rule out peripheral nerve dysfunction (peripheral neuropathy).

Hope this helps you. Let me know if you need clarifications.