Having diabetes. Taking telmed-20 for BP and taking glyciphage and human insulin twice daily. Suggest a way to reduce albumin in urine?

Question
I AM 61 AND DIABETIC,MY URINARY MICROALBUMIN IS 305. I AM TAKING TELMED-20,NO PROBLEM WITH BLOOD PRESSURE,IT IS NORMAL. FOR DIABETES I TAKE DIMICRON XR-60,GLYCIPHAGE 1 GM SR AND HUMAN INSULIN 70/30 TWICE DAILY. NOW FASTING SUGAR IS 120 AND PP IS 160. WHAT SHOULD I DO FOR HIGH ALBUMIN IN URINE---------------------------------------XXXX
Posted Sat, 31 Aug 2013 in Diabetes

Answered by Dr. Shoaib Khan 1 hour later
Hello XXXX.

The normal range of urine microalbumin is between 30-300, but for a diagnosis of microalbuminuria you will have to repeat the test at least 2-3 times over a 2-3 month period, and will have to get a result of more than 300 on all occasions. Please go about the same.

Let me first explain the significance of measuring urine albumin in a patient with diabetes; an elevated level indicates a high risk to developing cardiovascular and renal diseases. But your normal blood pressure is a good sign, that renal ill-effects have not been initiated, which is why I have requested you to repeat the test as instructed above.

Now if you have indeed been diagnosed with microalbuminuria treatment includes the use of medication from either drug groups: angiotensin II type 1 receptor blockers or angiotensin converting enzymes (ACE) inhibitors; which will help by reducing albumin levels and slow the progression of renal or cardiovascular diseases.

I hope this information was clear XXXX. Please feel free to write back to me for any further clarifications.

Best wishes.

Follow-up: Having diabetes. Taking telmed-20 for BP and taking glyciphage and human insulin twice daily. Suggest a way to reduce albumin in urine? 21 hours later
my fasting blood sugar remains high(120 to 145)do i need to change my medication.
are above medicines are sufficient ie 1-Glyciphage 1gm SR,Dimicron XR-60,Insulin human mixtard-24 units. all twice daily. what is best time to take these medicines.

Answered by Dr. Shoaib Khan 4 hours later
Hello once again XXXX.

Your treatment regimen already includes high dosages of oral hypoglycemic agents as well as insulin mixtard. In my opinion, these medications can be taken twice daily, but make a few changes to the insulin dosage.

You can continue to take 24 units in the morning, introduce about 12 units in the afternoon and about 20 units at night. This change might make a difference.

If you do not notice a change in your FBS levels, then changing the oral hypoglycemic agents will have to be considered.

Hope this helps you XXXX. Wishing you lots of luck