Having diabetes. Taking Cetapin. Lumpy or loose stools, abdominal pain. Medication side effects?

Hi I m 39 years old MALE. i an diabatic since 2 years and i am on CETAPIN P 15MG SINCE TWO MONTHS.
I need to go 3-4 times a day for motions and have abdominal/back pain on the left until I go to the toilet. My stool is not either hard or loose some times undigested food particle can be is sticky small pieces and lumps too and hard to release. I have had this problem since 2 months. . The burning stomach pains will last until I have emptied my bowels, and when I need to go again, the same abdominal pains reoccur. whevever this abdominal/back pain occurs I need to go to the toilet. I have a good appetite. please help!
Posted Sun, 10 Jun 2012 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Neelam Ashish Vanjari 36 minutes later

It is good that you have mentioned about the diabetes and drug currently taking for it.
Cetapin contains Metformin and pioglitazone as its ingredients.
One of the striking side effects of cetapin is gastro-intestinal disturbances- in the form of flatulence, diarrhea, and indigestion.
You are on cetapin since 2 months and you are experiencing symptoms from same time.
So I would suggest you to consult your current physician who prescribed you cetapin. If you tell him these symptoms, he will change medication for diabetes.

Do not discontinue drug straight away; otherwise sugars will go up.
If at all after discontinuing cetapin; you continue to experience similar symptoms, we need to investigate for inflammatory bowel disease.

I hope I have answered your query. In case of doubt I shall be happy to help you.
Best regards,
Dr. Neelam.
Follow-up: Having diabetes. Taking Cetapin. Lumpy or loose stools, abdominal pain. Medication side effects? 2 hours later
Dear Doctor,
Thanks for the reply
recently i carried the Routine test for stool and occult blood for stool all are shown as normal.My query is,The side effects of CETAPIN P 15 MG will occur immediately or after some days, because in my case it is started after 10 days of the taking medicine.
Please reply
Answered by Dr. Neelam Ashish Vanjari 56 minutes later

Thanks for writing back.
Any side effect is body's own response to foreign substance entering body from outside.
It varies from individual to individual. Few people might tolerate the same drug without any side effect. Initially tablet would have caused nausea or indigestion but I think it would have gone unnoticed. As you continued this tablet, it is causing this problem now.

So to come to final diagnosis, we need to rule out most possible cause in your case i.e side effect of cetapin.

First getting back to your treating doctor for change in medication would help. If the symptoms persist even after changing medication; we need to investigate for other problems like irritable bowels and Inflammatory bowel disease. In such a case a Gastroenterologist would be a competent expert to take it further.

I hope I have answered your doubt. In case of other doubt feel free to revert back.
Best regards,
Dr. Neelam.