Having depression with crying spells, violent behavior, self harming ideas. Help?

off late, i am experiencing XXXXXXX depression with weeping spells, a desire to be violent and break things or hurt my child. today in the morning i had made up my mind to jump from dhaula XXXXXXX metro station. i am married but had a broken love life with some one else. i cannot help but think of that person all the time. i also have no interest in my present life, house hubby etc, cooking etc. i am unemployed as i cannot hold onto a job.when i become violent my head feels heavy and extreme sadness and frustration beset me. please help me out?
Posted Sat, 14 Jul 2012 in Depression
Answered by Dr. Ashish Mittal 6 hours later

It is nice to see such a nice and precise description of your current suffering. From your history, it is clear that you have following symptoms:

•     Low mood, excessive stress, crying spells
•     Loss of interest in previous pleasurable activities (anhedonia)
•     Frustration
•     Heaviness in head
•     Violent behavior
•     Ideas and planning for self harm

In presence of normal blood test all these symptoms indicate towards the presence of depression and need attention.

Your case is not simple. But irrespective of past diagnosis, your current symptoms indicate towards the presence of depression and need urgent attention due to risk of self harm. You should urgently XXXXXXX your existing psychiatrist or me in Gurgaon. It is better for you if you received treatment after admission in hospital (for 1-2 week).

Depression is not always situational (because of stress). Many times it is biological due to biochemical changes in brain. Such Depression does not improve by exercise or guidance or lifestyle modifications only but all these measures help in recovery with medicines.

Depression occur due to neurotransmitters imbalance in brain most commonly involving serotonin neurotransmitter. The same neurotransmitter is also responsible for impulsive behavior.

In drug treatment two types of medicine used. For immediate relief of anxiety symptoms benzodiazepines group of medicines are used and for long term relief most commonly SSRI (selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors) are used. SSRI takes around 3-4 weeks to show its effect. Non drug treatment like cognitive behaviour therapy (form of psychotherapy) also takes weeks to show its effect.

All these process is complex. I have just simplified it to make you understand it. We can not write drug name directly because of ethical reasons and treatment is highly individualized. Apart from that, get your Serum TSH (related to thyroid hormone) done as sometime thyroid problem can lead to such symptoms.

Apart from above advice following simple measures will help you to some extent:
-Decrease worrying about symptoms as they will cure after treatment.
-Healthy diet: Milk and fruits in diet.
-Daily morning walk and breathing exercise.

I hope this information has been both informative and helpful for you. In case of any doubt, I will be available for follow ups.

Wish you good health.