Having depression, anxiety and panic attacks. Suggest ayurvedic medication

Ayurveda Specialist
Dear Doctor, I have three problems in my life. Kindly suggest ayurvedic medicines for the same please. 1) Depression through out day. 2) Generalised Anxiety (unable to express facial feelings freely. Feel clenched and tight jaw and If I laugh I face problem of pain in the jaws. As far as I remember Once Ayurvedic doctor prescribed Manasamritam for the same. Kindly suggest from your side the best medicine to get this problem permanently. 3) Panic attach (increasing of breathing, heart breath and unable to talk for few minutes). For this kindly suggest any medicine please. I REQUEST YOU TO KINDLY SUGGEST ANY AYURVEDIC TABLETS/ TONIC FOR THE EACH AND ABOVE PROBLEM PLEASE.
Posted Mon, 2 Dec 2013 in Ayurveda
Answered by Dr. Munish Sood 6 hours later
Brief Answer: Generalised Anxiety Disorder [GAD] Detailed Answer: Dear Thanks for contacting Ayurveda with your health query and before suggesting any Ayurveda Tonic/ Tablets and dietary advise from my side, kindly furnish following details for better line of management 1. what are the modern medications which you are taking/already taken for your current ailment? 2. since ‘manasmitram’ was advocated, did you took the medicine or not? 3. since features persisted from childhood, did you or your family members noticed any of the following symptoms: .depressed or irritable mood, disorganized sleeping or concentration,change in eating habits,mood swings, withdrawal from social activities, feeling of low esteem and ideas of suicide?? 4. did you experienced the said three problems due to any traumatic event or else? [ interfere with your work,social life and family life] 5. any excess use of caffeine and sugar [major diet source of causing anxiety and thereby causing panic attacks] 6. is anxiety features related with health anxiety or health issues 7. are your symptoms associated with three said problems is excessive or persistent or debilitating.?? 8. Since drug therapy is generally only a palliative treatment, we have to look at cognitive and behavior strategies and especially nutritional strategies. I do recommend behavioral practice, whether it’s yoga, or meditation. Do revert back with following concerns for Ayurveda line of treatment. Dr. Munish Sood Consultant & Physician Naimittika
Follow-up: Having depression, anxiety and panic attacks. Suggest ayurvedic medication 14 hours later
Dear Doctor, since childhood these problems like depression, anxiety & panic attack I suffered. As u rightly said all the symptooms related to depression, anxiety and panic attack i have been facing since childhood, but did not brought to the notice of my parents.After coming to Delhi I started taking treatment. Went to Psychologists to Psychotheraposts, General Physicians, Homeopathy, Allopathy, Yoga and Pranayam, Accupressure and what not and what more. Even I took the treatment of Panchakarma and Detoxification therapy also. The thing is that when I went to the Homeopathic Doctor (he is also psychotherapist), I recovered from Generalised Anxiety problem and Panic attack problems. Now the thing is that it is limited to some extent like moderate depressive nature like mood swings etc., generalised anxiety is (pain in the jaw and unable to laugh freely, I consulted my doctor he told me that it is because of the medicines which i used and i am using), thirdly panic attack occurs only when there is an argumentable situation. Presently I am taking Rivotril 2 mg once a day. Normally prescribed level is only 0.5 mg. Presently I have sound sleep, daily I do exercies (Monday - Physical, tuestday - yoga, wedneday (pranayam and meditation) and taking proper nourishment to the body with beautiful nutritional food. First thing I will gradually taper this Allopathic medicine. When I took manasamritha it gives me immense relief. thirdly kindly suggest the medicines which can treat the problem from gross root. Simultaneously, kindly suggest in the same fashion homeopathic medicine also (for depression, pain in the jaw and tensed facial muscle and for panic attack). Waiting for your reply, please.
Answered by Dr. Munish Sood 2 hours later
Brief Answer: Dietary Regime and Management Detailed Answer: Dear XXXX Thanks for reverting back with your response. 1.Since you are already undergoing physical activity programme [exercises] thus you should consult with your health care professional for CBT [cognitive behavioral therapy] to identify and counteract negative thoughts. 2.Since maximum dose of rivotril [clonazepam] is 4 mg daily, thus your Attending Doctor will have given you the right dosage. 3.Because panic attacks are repeatable [argument situations] which means you feel endangered and unable to escape [correct me if Wrong!!] which means there is ‘fear of fear’ i.e. vicious anxiety- panic attack- anxiety cycle, thus before taking panic attacks to be due to anxiety or depression make sure you have ruled out following medical conditions like overactive thyroid, low blood glucose, use of excess caffeine, cocaine, amphetamines or heart problem. PS. practice relaxation techniques like yoga, meditation [which you are doing] but also Pranayam [anulom vilom] which will strengthen the relaxation response of body as opposite to stress response during panic attacks, [i.e. hyperventilation], don’t try to flee away from the situation which will reinforce the perception that your panic attacks are unbearable [remember they are uncomfortable but not life threatening], allow the symptoms to pass and you will gain ability to cope with them • Under normal circumstances during Stress our flight and fight system of body is activated which results in muscle contraction and relaxes after the stimuli is gone but in cases where stress [anxiety] is extensive the muscle contraction is for lengthy period resulting in pain, discomfort [stretching Yoga poses [Dhanurasana, Matsyasana, Janu Shirsasana, Paschimottanasana, Hastapadasana], hot shower and massage are simple techniques to overcome muscle tension from anxiety] same goes with muscles of the face [facial tension] during Anxiety 4.Since the said problems can be grouped under GAD [generalized Anxiety disorder], Dietary Regime and Lifestyle management along with Medicine is initiated from my side according to “manovaha srotas vyadhi” 5.Avoid: alcohol, pepper, garam masala, mustard oil, pickles, rye, spicy food, anger, grief, fear, late night waking, garlic, ginger, onion. Take: mint, coriander, tomato, and cumin, plenty of water, vitamins and mineral supplements, XXXXXXX banana, grapes, dates 6.Lemon juice mixed with sugar in a glass of water helps release stress removing hormones from the body and bring mind at peace/rest. And eat 2 spoons coriander [Dhaniya] seeds with 2 spoons of sugar candy [mishri] 7 XXXXXXX almond, banana, broccoli, cantaloupe, melon, carrot, cashew nut, corn, cauliflower, grapes, guava, lemon, mango, orange, pineapple, soybean, spinach have anti oxidant and detoxifying properties so take them in plenty. 8.Prescription drugs and procedures available for your problems are: sarpagandha, khus, jatamansi, bramhi, kevada, vacha, tagar, amla, XXXXXXX XXXXXXX ras, mahakalyanak ghrita, manasmitra vatkam, XXXXXXX vati, mann XXXXXXX vati,Ashwagandharishta, sarasvatarishta, stresscom, nasya karma 9.For homeopathic management kindly consult with an expert Homeopath near your city. Dr. Munish Sood Naimittika