Having dent and swelling on thigh. Any ideas what is causing this? Chances of blood clot?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
I too have a dent about 1cm XXXXXXX and an inch wide on my upper, outer left thigh and there is swelling below it that looks as though it could fill the dent about perfectly. I'm in no pain, no tingling in my leg or anything else. No warm feeling when I touch, not sore in any way. In fact the only symptom is the dent and swelling directly below it. Any ideas.

P.S. I do sit a whole lot, so I was afraid of the chances this might be a blood clot. But I do walk around every couple of hours, and I run at least 2 times a week, but I'm still just a little scared.
Posted Fri, 10 Aug 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Atul Wankhede 16 hours later

The symptoms are quite confusing. You have a dent in the upper outer thigh which is not painful and has no neurological deficit distal to it. The swelling below this is also not painful/warm to touch and mobile I suppose.

Let me assure you that it seems just an incidental finding to me. The upper thigh is full of musculature with intervening fat, nerves, blood vessels, all surrounded over the Femur. Any such superficial dent can mean a tear of either the muscle fibers (though partial) or loss of superficial fat. And that can be really painful. The swelling just below can be a simple lipoma or a neurofibroma. Again nothing to worry about.

It's less likely to be a clot, otherwise you would notice change in the skin color and gradual reduction in its size. And again clots are painful too. Besides there is nothing that can dislocate and dislodge elsewhere in upper thigh.

So if it's not affecting your routine you should conveniently ignore it. But if it bothers you so, get it examined by your physician and get investigations like an x XXXXXXX and sonography to establish a diagnosis.

I hope this answers your query. For any further help I'm available for follow up.