Having delayed periods and didn't use protection. Have cramps, headaches, sore breast and frequent urination. Pregnant?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Mar 2013
Mar 2013
Question
hi. so for the last week i have had every symptom of my period, but my period hasn't come. its actually 6 days late now. i am sexually active and don't use protection. i have cramps, headaches. my breasts are sore, i'm very tired lately, overly moody and i have been going to the bathroom a lot more. usually i go number two maybe once or twice a day but lately i have been going number two as often as i go number 1. could i be pregnant?
Posted Thu, 5 Sep 2013 in Pregnancy

Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 12 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Take a home urine pregnancy test to confirm.

Detailed Answer:
Hello
All the symptoms that you describe are not specific for a pregnancy.
They can occur in early pregnancy, but it is not a rule.
They are as commonly seen in premenstrual syndrome also.
If you have skipped your period, please take a urine pregnancy test to confirm whether you are pregnant or not.

Follow-up: Having delayed periods and didn't use protection. Have cramps, headaches, sore breast and frequent urination. Pregnant? 25 minutes later
what is premenstrual syndrome?

Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 5 minutes later
Brief Answer:
EXPLAINED IN DETAIL BELOW

Detailed Answer:
When you are about to get your period ( menses ), you are in the premenstrual state.
Most women experience some type of premenstrual syndrome, wherein they experience one or more of a cluster of symptoms such as -
headache
bloating
soreness of the breasts
diarrhoea
increased bowel movements
cramping pains
irritability
fatigue
You could be having these symtoms because your period is about to arrive, thats what I meant.

Follow-up: Having delayed periods and didn't use protection. Have cramps, headaches, sore breast and frequent urination. Pregnant? 41 minutes later
thanks. that was all very helpful. I'm just worried cause half the symptoms i am having i don't normally have. But your answers have put my worries at ease. thanks

Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 4 hours later
Brief Answer:
SAME AS ABOVE

Detailed Answer:
I understand, that you might normally not have all these symptoms, thats why I just put it as a possibility.
Just take a pregnancy test to be sure.
Thanks for the appreciation, and good luck.