Having delayed periods. Had 3 i pill after sex. Pregnancy? Way to induce periods?

Hi, I am 32 years old. I had 3 tabs of I-pill last month within 72 hours of having sex( one on 4th may, 2nd on 7th may and 3rd on 24th..My periods wre due on 18/05, and I have missed it. Please advise if this would indicate pregnancy and how to calculate the next probable date for the next cycle. Is there a way to induce the periods to occur early?
Posted Sat, 22 Jun 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Shoaib Khan 37 minutes later
Hello and welcome to XXXXXXX

Thank you for writing to us.

I understand you are worried, and I shall help you with all the information and guidance you need. Do not worry.

The instructions of use for i-pill are: 1 tablet to be taken within 72 hours of having sexual intercourse (which you have done). If you do not mind, could you mention the date you had unprotected sexual intercourse, as this will also help. Thank you for this. Let me tell you why this is important:

The efficacy of i-pill increases when taken earlier:
-If i-pill is taken within 24 hours, it is 95 % effective
-If i-pill is taken within 25-48 hours, it is 85 % effective
-If i-pill is taken within 49-72 hours, it is 58 % effective

I-pill can cause your periods to come a little late and sometimes little early as well. Such menstrual derangement is more common with multiple I-pill use (you took 3).

Though the delay seems more likely due to I-pill, before attempting menstrual indication it is important to exclude pregnancy. Hence it is advised to take a pregnancy test immediately. Once pregnancy is ruled out, yes, there is a way to induce your period to come early, but only if pregnancy is completely ruled out.

For ruling out pregnancy, you can use a home pregnancy kit, using an early morning urine sample (as this would yield a most accurate result). This will have to be conducted 2-3 times, to confirm a result. If pregnancy has been ruled out, I can then help guide you to help induce your periods.

Right now, it is not possible to calculate the next date for your cycle, as your pregnancy status will have to first be ruled out. I shall help you with this as well, one pregnancy has been ruled out. Do not worry.

I hope I have succeeded in providing the information you were looking for. Please feel free to write back to me for any further clarifications. I would gladly help you.

Best wishes.