Having dark neck. Thyroid test normal. What to do?

My daughter is 18 years old and she is having dark neck. Her periods are on time and she does not have any other health issues. And recently we got her tested if she has thyroid and the reports say that she does not have thyroid. What would be the reason for her dark neck and is there any treatment for this medically? If yes, what are the medicines? If consultation is required, is it a Dermatologist case or do have any other specialist who can look into this and help us in this regard. Please let me know.
Posted Tue, 24 Sep 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Prasad 55 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Dermatologist is the right choice...

Detailed Answer:

Dark area under the neck is most commonly due to sun exposure induced pigmentation. Forehead, under surface of the neck and nape area of the head are commonly exposed to the sun. This in turn can make these areas dark. Other possible causes are acanthosis nigricans and post inflammatory pigmentation.

If I were to be her treating doctor, I would prescribe her to use sunscreen with SPF close to 30 such as suncross SPF 26 or suncote SPF 30 along with aloevera containing moisturizer regularly. Avoid any other cosmetics especially ones used for acne. Restrict sun exposure as much as possible.
If this process doesn't produce good results, then I would refer you to a dermatologist for evaluation. He/she can start depigmentation process after evaluation.

Hope this helps. Write back for clarifications.