Having dark circles around ankles, sore to touch. Use mazon cream. What can I do about this?

Hi my name is XXXXXX,For years now I have had a skin condition on my legs ,round very dark circles.They go all around my ankles.They are not itchy but sore to touch at times.I cannot wear dresses or short capris as these circles are very unsightly.Can you tell me what this is,and what I can do about this. I use a mazon cream that helps relieve the discomfort.
Posted Thu, 20 Jun 2013 in Pigmentation Problems
Answered by Dr. R.G. Joshi 1 hour later

Thanks for writing here.

Dark and non itchy patches around ankle suggest probably some blood vessel pathology.

Blood vessels of legs have to work against gravity and they are under constant pressure. Standing for prolonged time also adds to pressure on them. Due to this small vessels known as capillaries tend to rupture and oozing out blood from them. There is collection of blood beneath the skin leading to dark colors.

A picture of the affected area can help me confirm the possibility. You can post a good quality picture of the affected areas using the site's uploader.

Avoid prolonged standing. Keep legs elevated at night while sleeping. Use a stocking at day time which will relive pressure on blood vessels.

You can apply a cream containing hydro cortisone and calcuim dobesilate for which you may need a prescription. You also need to vitamin c tablets for few days.

I hope this can solve your query. In case you have any concerns I will feel happy to help you.