Having cysts on ovary and irregular periods. Worried. Advise?

OBGYN, Gynecologic Oncology
Question
Hi My daughter of 23 years is quite upset just found out that she has a lot of cysts on each ovary She went to doctor as she hasn't been having her normal menstruation every month This actually occurred years ago as well but she went on the pill not knowing there was an issue as they did an ultrasound but not an XXXXXXX one. The doctor told her to just go back on the pill but this will not fix what she already has. We need a good Gynacologist in Melbourne She is getting married next year and she is obviously really worried Can you help?
Posted Mon, 16 Sep 2013 in Cervical and Ovarian Cancer

Answered by Dr. Manjunath L Ramarajapalli 5 hours later
Brief Answer:
PCOD (polycystic ovarian disease)

Detailed Answer:
Your daughter is having probably PCOD (polycystic ovarian disease or syndrome).
People with this syndrome have multiple small ovarian cysts and they ovulate infrequently so that there are delayed menstrual cycles. Also they may have difficulty to conceive.

Many people suffer from this syndrome.It is not very serious,but needs some medical assistance on and off.
For regularization of menses usually pills are prescribed. When she wants to have children she may need medication for ovulation induction.

No need to get upset it is not very serious problem.

Good luck

Follow-up: Having cysts on ovary and irregular periods. Worried. Advise? 6 hours later
Can you recommend a good gynaecologist in Melbourne?

Brief Answer:
I am based in India

Detailed Answer:
Hello! As I am based in India I am unable to recommend a good gynaecologist in Melbourne. You may visit the Dr. XXXXXXX XXXXXXX at obstetricians ang gynecology consulting group at Flemington Road, North Melbourne.

Good luck!