Having crohn's disease and taking Apo Azathioprine. Having difficulty in breathing and legs are swollen. Suggest the cure?

Jul 2013

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement
My husband has crohns and he was on salofalk for about 30 years, until he was having problems and it was no longer working for him. The specialist put him on Apo Azathioprine 50 mg. He is to take 3 pills each day. He started out gradually with 1 pill and now is on 3. He started this about XXXXXXX of this year. Within the last month and a half he has been having a hard time breathing. His lower legs were swelling. They put him on a couple of puffers and fluid pills. He also has a cough that has gotten worse. A few weeks ago his heart rate was really fast. It was around 105, 110 but one time I took it, it was 195. His pulse is still quite high at times it has been 125, or low 100's. Sometimes it will be in the 80's. He is also on a pill for high blood pressure just with the last month or so. Just a couple of nights ago he woke up a 2:30 in the morning. Felt dizzy so went to the kitchen and didn't feel well so he called me. Said he felt terrible and that he felt like he was going to pass out. I took his blood pressure and it was109 over 46 with a pulse of 74. I took it again within a short time and it was 73 over 52 with pulse of 91. I took him to emergency as he was also having a hard time breathing. He has been to emergency a few times lately and they check his blood, do a chest x-ray say everything is fine and that is it. But the problem is still there of not feeling well and having a hard time breathing. Within the last week he has had about 3 nights were he has felt chilled. Took some Tylenol and sweated it out.
Posted Thu, 12 Sep 2013 in Crohn's Disease
Answered by Dr. K. Naga Ravi Prasad 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Could be side effects of Azathioprine.

Detailed Answer:
Hi, thanks for writing to XXXXXXX

I strongly feel that all your husband's symptoms are related to adverse reactions of Azathioprine usage. The commonest side effects encountered with Azathioprine usage are Shortness of breath, fast heart beat, Unusual tiredness or weakness, Fever or chills, Chest pain, Sudden unusual feeling of discomfort or illness etc.

As nothing was found abnormal even in the emergency department regarding your husband's symptoms, they can only be attributed to Azathioprine usage.

So, I suggest you to consult your treating physician either for dosage adjustment of Azathioprine or for a prescription of different drug.

Hope I have justified your query. I welcome any clarifications