Having crohns disease. Feeling bloated, irregular bowel movements. Should I start the imuran again?

my left leg sweats often, I have crohns disease, with strictured intestines. I am worried about kidney problems not flowing the water out of my system due to slow running intestines. Feel bloated often. Had kidney stones last year, not on any medication at the moment. EKG was done last fall, fairly normal. Dont drink or smoke, no drug use also. I feel better after I take strong laxatives to empty out as much as I can. Advanced cat scan was taken a couple years ago at UC San XXXXXXX Was told stricturing was mild at that time, seems to have gotten worse as I dont go to the bathroom much at all unless I take laxatives. Was taking imuran up until a few weeks ago, had the flu very bad stopped to let my immune stystem strengthen and deal with flu. I guess I should start the imuran again.
Posted Tue, 24 Jul 2012 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Dinesh Kumar Singal 1 hour later

Thanks for getting in touch with Healthcare Magic.

Yes, Crohn's disease patients are prone to develop kidney stones. But if you take adequate liquids and alkalizers then the rsk will be less. Also people in whom terminal ileum is involved have more risk of developing these. Not everyone develops kidney stone.

Luckily you had mild stricturing earlier, current status needs to be ascertained as your constipation has worsened. If the stricturing has worsened then it might need some kind of an intervention like endoscopic dilatation or in advanced cases even surgery. You should take less roughage diet, as fibres tend to worsen constipation in case of strictures.

Immuran is a major drug for Crohn's disease. You may need to restart it since your flu has improved now.

Since Crohn's disease is a life long affliction, I will suggest that you should stay in touch with your gastroenterologist and follow his advise from time to time.

Hope you get better soon.

Best wishes,

Dr Dinesh Singal