Having cramps, tight pressure like feeling over abdomen, nausea and had IBS. Taking Zoloft. Feeling cramping while breathing. Concerned?

Question
Hello. I am a 22-year-old female suffering from various digestive symptoms. Lately the symptoms are mainly cramps, a tight pressure-like feeling all over my whole abdomen, and both lower and upper abdominal pain. It is not sharp pain, just crampy. I have accompanying nausea most of the time, especially in the morning but I am not pregnant. I have a history of IBS and anxiety disorder causing physical symptoms, and I am on Zoloft 100mg. Right now I am feeling cramped when breathing in my lower stomach and lower back, and sometimes the pain moves to my upper stomach under my ribs. I also tend to have some gas pain. My bowel movements are normal and I go in the mornings, sometimes 2 or 3 times but I almost never have diarrhea. Are these symptoms anything to be concerned about?
Posted Tue, 10 Sep 2013 in Digestion and Bowels

Answered by Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 1 hour later
Brief answer...not much to be concerned as you are a known case of IBS.
Detailed answer...
Your symptoms are classical of depression.
Since you are already on ZOLOFT ( antidepressant belonging to SSRI class ),there is no other specific medicine to be suggested except taking anti spasmodics for pain abdomen and taking medications for constipation or diarrhoea.
I would advise you to go for de stressing yourself because constant anxiety,stress and depression would cause more problems to you.
Do the following for it....
Do regular aerobic exercises for at least 45 minutes a day.
Do meditation.
Do yoga or TAI CHI.
Do deep breathing exercises.
Once you are able to destress yourself,your symptoms shall go away considerably.
I hope it helps however you may revert to me for any further query.
Best of luck
Thanks

Follow-up: Having cramps, tight pressure like feeling over abdomen, nausea and had IBS. Taking Zoloft. Feeling cramping while breathing. Concerned? 47 hours later
Thank you very much. You don't think there is really any need for colonoscopy and endoscopy given my symptoms?

If your symptoms don't improve shortly or if your symptoms intensify,then definitely you should consult a gastroenterologist for a proper evaluation of your symptoms and possibly colonoscopy and endoscopy also.
Thanks

Follow-up: Having cramps, tight pressure like feeling over abdomen, nausea and had IBS. Taking Zoloft. Feeling cramping while breathing. Concerned? 1 hour later
Thank you. The symptoms have continued for several weeks but there have been good and bad days. What types of digestive disorders besides IBS can cause symptoms that vary from day to day?

Answered by Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 6 hours later
There are various other problems which are excluded before labelling the person as suffering from IBS.
Other problems which may cause symptoms mimicking with each other and IBS are..
Coelic disease
Ulcerative colitis
Inflammatory bowel disease
Gastroenteritis
Chronic pancreatitis
Lactose intolerance etc...
A gastroenterologist will carry out proper investigations to confirm the diagnosis.

Thanks