Having cramps in my stomach. Why is it happening? What to do?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
I am feeling cramps in my stomach since yday night, could you help
Posted Tue, 22 May 2012 in Abdominal Pain
Answered by Dr. Aashish Raghu 27 minutes later

Are you having any sensation of bloating of the stomach ?

Have you passed stool today ?

Any nausea or loose stools ?

Is it time for your menstrual periods to start ?

There could be many causes for cramping in the abdomen but commonly it is due to certain infections, chronic constipation, muscular spasm, menstrual cramps etc.

If you are having nausea, vomiting or loose stools, there is possibility of bowel infection which could be from something you ate recently. You can take a tablet Buscopan under medical supervision, for relief from the spasmodic pain but it can cause drowsiness and blurring of vision as side effects. Keep well hydrated with water and home-available fluids like tender coconut water, fresh real fruit juice etc. You may need antibiotics for infection like Ciprofloxacin which can be prescribed by your Doctor after a thorough clinical examination.

If it is time for your menstrual cycles for this month, you may be experiencing cramping sensation due to muscular contraction of the uterus. In this case if the pain is extreme and situated in the lower abdomen, you can take a tablet Meftal spas with water after eating a meal, under medical supervision.

If these remedies are not working, kindly do not hesitate to consult your Doctor to rule out possibility of sinister pathology like bowel obstruction, twisted ovarian cyst etc.

Kindly do respond to my queries.

I hope I have answered your query. I will be available to answer your follow up queries.

Wishing speedy recovery.

Follow-up: Having cramps in my stomach. Why is it happening? What to do? 22 minutes later
sorry, for giving incomplete information. I thot I was on the online chat and gave only 1 line information, later i had a chat with Dr XXXXXXX
It was due to samosa i ate out, she has advised me the remedial actions
Thanks for your help and you have a good day!
Answered by Dr. Aashish Raghu 2 minutes later

Thanks for your reply.
It appears the cramps are due to bowel infection because of eating out.

Next time do be careful. For now keep yourself well hydrated and follow above precautions. You can take an antibiotic like Ciprofloxacin under medical supervision if your Doctor recommends.

Wishing speedy recovery.