Having cramps in arms, painful and cannot move for while. Painless cramps in legs and feet. Advise?

Dec 2012

I wake up with a real harsh cramp in my left arm and cant move it for a while. Right now I feel a little cramp at the lower parts of my legs and feet and my left arm feel slightly cramped, but i can move it and it does not hurt. but when I fall asleep and wake up I am cramped at my left arm and sometimes both arms and cant move either hands or fingers,
Posted Sat, 8 Jun 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Nsah Bernard 4 hours later

The cramps you are facing when you wake up are unspecific and could be as a result of one the vast number of diseases that can cause cramps. First I will advice that you consult a physician as soon as possible who can do a proper evaluation and provide you with appropriate treatment. the different possible causes of your illnesses could be

- True cramp (motor unit hyperactivity) which could be of course due to: ordinary cramps (which i doubt that it could be given your presentation), lower motor neuron disease (your age may rule that out as such diseases are mostly found in elderly can not be entirely excluded), heat cramp, blood and electrolyte disorders ( such as hypoglycemia, hypocalcemia, hyper/hypokalemia, hypomagnesemia etc).
- drug induced: so if you are on any particular diseases you should probably get that checked out.

- contracture : due to underlying diseases conditions such as thyroid diseases, mArdle's disease etc

- inflammatory bone and muscle diseases

Ones your doctor can examine you, do a series of blood tests, he might be able to determine the origin of your cramps and privide you with appropriate medication.

Hope this helps

Dr. Nsah