Having cramps, frequent urination, bloating and started spotting. Any ideas?

I have been having cramps that do not go away after my period. I had "spotting" a couple of weeks ago that was black. Then again after sex a week or so later that was brown. I also have frequent urination and bloating. I have also had back and hip pain. Any ideas?
Posted Thu, 6 Dec 2012 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 2 hours later
The black and brown spotting that you had after the periods is likely to be due to a left over bleeding from your previous periods. It is not worrisome.
The cramps in the lower abdomen with frequent urination is likely to be due to a urine examination and culture done to find out the cause.
These infections are common in women and are easily treatable. The treatment of this would involve the following:
a. Drink plenty of fluids
b. Cranberry juice has been shown to be useful in fighting this infection.
c. You can take a urine alkalinizing agent like disodium hydrogen citrate
d. You would also need a course of antibiotics like ciprofloxacin. However, it would be best if we get a urine culture and sensitivity done in order to identify the bacterium and know which antibiotic it is susceptible to.
Since these are prescription drugs, I would suggest you see your physician for the same. With this treatment, I think you should be good in about 1 week.
Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.