Having cramps below my belly button and abdominal bloating. What should I do?

General Surgeon
Hi. I have bad stomach problems. At first the doctor thought it was Celiac. So I stay away from anything that has gluten in it. But I was still get a day once a week that I would have wicked cramps below my belly button that would go through to my lower back. Gas x is the only thing that helps, eventually. I started staying away from all dairy to see if it would stop. It didn't. I don't eat eggs either because I had a allergy test in 1996 and it came up as a possible allergy. Nothing seems to stop these days of pain. Now I'm starting (in the last month) to swell up above my belly button as well as below (as always) and it sometimes happens within the hour of eating. I drive a bus and when I ate lunch today, during a 2 hour brake and then went back to 2.5 hrs of driving I got wicked pain under my ribs on my right side. This has happened a few time in the past week.
Posted Fri, 6 Dec 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Deepak Kishore Kaltari 2 hours later
Brief Answer: could be either Giardiasis or acid peptic disease Detailed Answer: Namaste Welcome to Healthcare-Magic Greetings of the day Crampy pain around umbilicus and bloating of abdomen, I would consider the possibility of Giardiasis as one of the cause. I suggest you to get Stool examination done for ova and cyst for confirmation of diagnosis( apart from microscopic examination , antigen testing of stool to be done). 7-10 day course of Metronidazole along with Proton pump inhibitor like Pantoprazole will provide the much needed relief. Other possible differential diagnosis for your symptoms could be acid peptic disease. I hope it helped. In case you have any other query, kindly get back to me. Wishing you a speedy recovery. Take care Regards Dr Deepak Kishore Consultant Surgeon