Having coughing when lay down and also nose bleeds. Feel like something in chest. What to do?

Jun 2013
Hi,, I have been coughing mostly when I lay down and i feel like something in my chest that makes me cough and when I blow my nose blood comes out...
Posted Wed, 10 Jul 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Sushil Kumar Sompur 29 days later
Hi there ~

I understand your concerns. You seem to have a history of psoriasis and OCD (zoloft. I believe that the zoloft is helping with the OCD and it is adequate in terms of dosage and you have been stabilized on this medications with regards to your symptoms of OCD. I believe that you are also being treated for psoriasis by a dermatologist and I will get to answering your concern, if we have both of these out of the way.

The constant cough when you lay down and the feeling of something being there in your chest that makes you cough could be one of many things:
1. Gastro Esophageal Reflux Disease (GERD) - which I usually treat with PPIs or proton pump inhibitors like omeprazole, esomeprazole, pantoprazole, etc or H2 antagonists like ranitidine which is taken before meals to help with the condition. Also simethicone in a syrup form will help with preventing ulcers and the reflux part. You might need to consult a doctor and have testing done including Upper GI endoscopy to make sure you do not have a surgical condition causing your symptoms (this might be a hiatus hernia or such).
2. Pharyngitis - treated usually with good oral hygiene and an antibiotic course prescribed by your doctor
3. Laryngitis - treated usually with good oral hygiene and an antibiotic course prescribed by your doctor

It also seems like you are having epistaxis or bleeding from your nose when you blow it. It may be due to crusting of the nasal discharge and sticking on the mucosa. If you blow your nose too hard you might rip these dry crusted discharges that line your mucosa, which is supplied by fine blood vessels, thus causing you to bleed. I believe that if you avoid blowing your nose too hard or picking on your nose, you will be able to solve this problem.

I hope this helps. Please consult your doctor or call and let them know of your symptoms if they are not improving so as to schedule an appointment for getting yourself examined and having lab work done at the earliest. I wish you the very best in recovery.

Take care and have a lovely day!