Having cough with white phlegm. Smell like sulphur. Can it be due to fungus?

HAVE HAD A COUGH WITH WHITE PHLEGM FOR YEARS NOW WHICH IS PROGRESSIVELY GETTING WORSE EVERY YEAR. BUT USUALLY I SPIT IT UP IN SINK SO I CAN SEE WHATS IN IT AND I CAN SMELL A SULPHUR LIKE SMELL TO IT. CAN A FUNGUS DO THIS. also my father died back a few years ago and he did this same thing. he always thought it was from his nose cause he had so much drainage as I do too. but his lead to pulmonary fibrosis. oh, and on my path report it said something about histiocytes and not histocytes in which my son had a lumbar puncture and it revealed histiocytes but then after the 3rd one at a different facility, they said he didnt have histiocytes, which is found in histiocytosis. he was seeing a neurologist for severe headaches. so could this be a form of histiocytosis.
Posted Mon, 13 Aug 2012 in Lung and Chest disorders
Answered by Dr. Mihail Iepure 3 hours later

Thank you for your query.

I noted from your medical history you have done chest lymphatic node biopsy but what shown that histological report? Only properly histological exam can prove you have or no any form Histiocytosis.

I noted your condition getting worse in time and this is real reason to seek professional advice and is good you asked for. In your case to clarify your condition you need Laboratory investigation (complete blood count, liver function test, coagulations profile, biochemistry) and Radiography investigation (chest X-ray or Computed Tomography scan).

Additionally repeat biopsy with histological exam. As you know all above mentioned tests must be done in specialized centre and you have to make an appointment with Pulmonologist that will guide you through.

If you have any additional queries, don’t hesitate to ask.

I wish you speedy recovery.