Having cough with thicker and whitish mucus and neck pain. How to get cured?

I have had a cough for several days. Mucus started out thin and clear, has gotten thicker and whitish. Yellow a couple of times. More productive at night, but now when I cough it sends shooting pain up my back
Posted Mon, 13 Aug 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Aparna Kohli 1 hour later
Thanks for writing in.
It seems you have a lower respiratory tract infection (most likely a pneumonia). Given your description, it seems to be bacterial in origin. The following measures will help:
a. Take steam inhalation twice daily
b. Take Benadryl tablets 25 mg one tablet at night time
c. Please speak with your physician about a course of oral antibiotics like amoxicillin-clavulanate for 5 days. This is required under these circumstances
d. Keep yourself warm
e. Take Tablet Tylenol 1 tablet as and when required ( upto 4 tablets daily) if you have any fever.
This should take about a week to resolve.
Let me know if I can be of any more help