Having cough with green mucus. Diagnosed pneumonia. Took Azithromycin with Prednisone. Remedy?

Apr 2013

General Surgeon
I was diagnosed with pneumonia by my MD, and took a five day course of Azithromycin together with 5 days of Prednisone. I finished this treatment 2 days ago, however, I'm still coughing constantly, with green mucous, and feel worn out.
Posted Wed, 19 Jun 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Ivan R. Rommstein 30 minutes later
Hi and welcome to Healthcare magic.

Since you have been taking Azitromycince combined with prednisolone it seems like your doctor diagnosed bacterial pneumonia and bronchitis. You should feel improvement after 2-3 days of taking antibiotics but sometimes it takes up to 7-10 days for signs of recovery. I dont know was the exact microbe isolated and verified , but there can be atypical bacterial infection or azytromycine resistant bacteria and if your symptoms persist for few more days you should do microbiological tetsing to find the exact cause of pneumonia and then repeat antibiotic treatment.

Wish you good health. If you have any question I ll be glad to help.