Having cough while sleeping. Feel bloated even after light dinner. Help?

Iam 62 years old male,and very acidic,I have been in and out of hospital for coughing a lot and was treated,and back home 3 days now ,I notice that everynight when i lay down ,iwill cough a lot and cannot sleep at night , inotice that every night after even a light dinner ,Im so bloated and full of acid in my tummy ,any help will be appreciated please and many thanks in advance
Posted Wed, 23 Oct 2013 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Shanthi.E 54 minutes later
Brief Answer:
2 problems, 2 solutions

Detailed Answer:

It seems like you are in much pain, and a difficult situation.

You seem to have 2 problems:

1. Acidity - This is problematic for you. You feel bloated and full of acid in your tummy. You seem to have a gastritis condition. Have you taken any medicines for the same? If not, you may consider taking Tablet Omeprazole 20mg early in the morning on empty stomach, daily for at least 3 weeks. You can repeat once in night before dinner, if the acid problem persists.

Omeprazole is very effective in reducing acid production from the stomach. It is available over the counter.

Together with this, follow healthy dietary measures like consuming bland diet, drinking plenty of fluids orally, avoid smoking and alcohol, if any.

2. Cough - You have been treated for this at the hospital. Now, the cough is disturbing at night and making you unable to sleep. I hope you have completed the treatment for cough. Please elevate the head-end of your bed using 2 to 3 pillows, so that the airways are raised, and that you can breathe comfortably.

Please do chest physiotherapy or deep breathing exercises in the evening and early night time to help in clearing the airways, and the cough.

Make sure you have adequate ventilation in your room.

If the cough subsides for more than a week, I suggest a repeat chest x-ray to check for persisting infection in the lungs.

Hope you get well soon.