Having cough, throat pain, cold and got fever. Suggest?

Hi doctor

I was having cough day before evening and a little throat pain yesterday morning. Till afternoon I caught cold and now I'm having fever as well.

Please suggest.

Posted Sat, 19 Oct 2013 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Ram Choudhary 18 hours later
Brief Answer:
should improve in 4-5 days with advised treatment

Detailed Answer:
The symptoms of throat pain, congestion and associated fever is suggestive of severe Upper due to Viral infection or bacterial infection primarily or secondarily when viral infection stays unabated for few days.
You should prevent your self from exposure to cold, XXXXXXX enough warm cloths to avoid temperature variation.
Have bed rest and take lots of fluids like soups, lemon water, curds, tea and other household liquids and take a balanced diet.
Decongestant medicines can be taken thrice a day, they are available over the counter.
The problem should subside in 4-5 days to come.
You should get evaluated by a physician of your locality and get assessed if you also require antibiotics. You should improve the oral health, brush twice a day and do chlorhexidine mouth gargles thrice a day and avoid eating any edibles during ensuing 2 hours to ensure good germicidal effect of chlorhexidine; Do warm saline gargles after you take anything orally.
if you have malaise and fever then take acetaminophen(paracetamol) 500mg as required.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have any follow up queries or doubts, you can forward them for me, and I shall be glad to help you.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.