Having cough and severe pain in lower torso. Is the pain due to cough?

I have had a pretty bad cough for about a week now that does not seem to be changing much or going away however, tonight I started having severe pain on my mid to lower torso on my right side. I feel like it is pain from coughing so much. Is this possible?
Posted Sat, 22 Jun 2013 in Back Pain
Answered by Dr. Shruti Rijhwani 49 minutes later

Thank you for posting your query.

Looking into the history you have provided you are suffering from cough . During pneumonia that is chest infection sometimes pleurisy (due to the covering of the lungs) can occur that is it is a very severe pain whenever you cough , it is a very sharp and piercing type of pain which forces you to stop your breath .

I will advise you to consult a pulmonologist , since you are getting cough since a week , get your CBC , Chest X XXXXXXX , sputum Culture senstivity and routine microscopy to look out for chest infection so that you can be started on appropriate antibiotics to combat the infection. You have not mentioned that do you get sputum also during coughing or there is any blood in sputum , any fever etc.

Thank you.

Dr. Shruti