Having cough and feeling heaviness in chest. Pneumonia or bronchitis?

My chest feels heavy and I have a horrible cough it is not a dry cough and the phlem doesn't have blood??
Pneumonia or bronchitis or neither? Help!!!
Posted Sat, 16 Mar 2013 in Lung and Chest disorders
Answered by Dr. Enrique Molina 21 minutes later
Hi XXXXXXX, I will be happy to assist.
It is hard to say what is the cause of your symtpoms, but the most common cause of your symptoms is a viral infection, although a bacterial infection could also be the cause.
If you do not have shortness of breath or severe chest pain then you should rest, take plenty of fluids. You could also take over the counter medications that contains Guaifenesin (expectorant) and dextrometorphan (cough suppressant), which are the medications within for example Robitussin DM, Mucinex, etc.
If your symptoms are severe or you have shortness of breath, or do not start to improve within 48 hours you should visit a physician for further evaluation and possible antibiotic treatment.
Hope that helps, let me know if you have any further questions or concerns