Having cough and clumsy hands. Cause?

bouts of coughing clumsy hands dropping items for no reason
Posted Sun, 9 Jun 2013 in Lung and Chest disorders
Answered by Dr. Shoaib Khan 10 hours later
Hello ma'am and welcome to XXXXXXX

Thank you for writing to us.

I understand your concern, but let me tell you, that the onset of clumsiness could be either due to a weakness caused by the condition resulting in the cough (listed below) or by a circulatory problem. The circulatory problem results in a reduced sensation, which can make you feel like you are holding a particular item well enough, but in reality are not.

Let me put down a few common conditions that could be causing the bouts of coughing for your reference as well:
-Foreign body inhalation
-Pertusis (whooping cough)
-Chest infections (eg. bronchitis, asthma, etc.)
-Gastroesophageal reflux disease
-Chronic obstructive pulmonary disease

To investigate your circulation, you will have to check your cardiac profile and investigation of the blood vessels for conditions like atherosclerosis, diabetes, etc.

I hope this information helps you in suspecting certain conditions to be the cause for your presentation. If you require any more information, or the above information was not sufficient, please feel free to write back to me with your queries, and I would be more than happy to help you.

Wishing you a speedy recovery.