Having cough. Noticed blood during blowing nose. Remedy

Apr 2013

General Surgeon
Hi I have been coughing for about 14 days mostly when I lay down ,,my chest feels like there is something in there that makes me cough n when I blow my nose blood spots come out
Posted Tue, 4 Jun 2013 in Lung and Chest disorders
Answered by Dr. Ivan R. Rommstein 2 hours later
Hi and welcome to XXXXXXX Thank you for your query.

I dont think you should be worried. It seems like typical respiratory infection caused by virus for now. Sometimes, it can progress and cause bacterial bronchitis or pneumonia. Then it should be treated by antibiotics. Blood spotting after nose blowing is common sign of respiratory infections but you must be sure that you are not coughing out blood because, it can be sign of something more serious including tuberculosis.

Since this last for 14 days, beside infection it can be asthma, chronic bronchitis or emphysema especially if you are smoker.

If you have worse symptoms when you lay down, fatigue after short walk or shortness of breath while lying and, it can indicate certain heart disease and pleural effusion.
All this is rare in your age, but if your symptoms persists more than 1 month, it should be considered.

So now I suggest just to do chest x-ray where lung inflammation and heart size and shape can be seen. It would rule out anything serious. If infection is found, you can treat it by antibiotics.

For home treatment just rest, take at least 1.5 L fluids per day(water,camomile tea), vitamins A,C,E and propolis. Lay with elevated upper body and if you notice blood coughing or pain in chest, fever>102 or any other strange symptom you should visit ER.

Wish you good health. If you have any question I ll be glad to help.