Having controlled high cholesterol, and controlled high blood pressure. Taking Lisinopril, HCTZ and Lipitor. Suggest a good multivitamin?

Hi. I am a 62 year old female who has controlled high cholesterol, and controlled high blood pressure as my main medical problems. I take Lisinopril, HCTZ, and Lipitor to control those cond'ns. I do not have diabetes. I take one fish oil capsule daily and 1,000IU of Vitamin D with almond milk daily also. I need to purchase a good multivitamin but with so many out there I am just confused which one would be most beneficial for me. Thank you in advance for your answer. XXXXXXX XXXX
Posted Mon, 2 Sep 2013 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Chobufo Ditah 39 minutes later
Hi and thank you so much for this query.

I feel compelled to start by congratulating you for the fine attention you attache to your health. Honestly, there is nothing that takes precedence over seeking the best possible health state.

However, I failed to see you mention that you also do some physical exercise to stay fit. If you forgot to mention this, then that is fine. If you do not indulge in doing physical exercise, I will strongly recommend that you consider doing so.

For real there are many multivitamins out there. The most important guiding factor should be the vitamin recommendations for adults. This is mainly VitD and calcium as they contribute to maintaining health bone architecture and preventing osteoporosis. A multivitamin with reasonable amounts of this is good.

In the real sense, an adult who eats healthy does not really needs multivitamin supplements except a specific condition mandates it. This is because they are normally present in foods and we get enough.

Centrum Silver Adults 50+, present in most pharmacies and even the big retailers is a good drug. I prescribe this to most of my 50+ clients in addition to nutritional counseling about eating healthy and staying physically fit. Take one daily by mouth with a cup of water. These combined guarantee a good and steady supply.

I hope you find this information helpful. I wish you well and encourage you to stay on top of your health. If you have more related questions to this query, please feel free to address them and i shall gladly address them.
Once more, thank you so much for this opportunity to address your health query today.

Dr. Ditah, MD.
Follow-up: Having controlled high cholesterol, and controlled high blood pressure. Taking Lisinopril, HCTZ and Lipitor. Suggest a good multivitamin? 20 hours later
Thank you for your complete answer Dr. Ditah. The reason I asked in the first place was simply because there are SO MANY multivitamins on the market that I wanted to ask for a physician's recommendation on which one or ones he/she thinks are ones he would recommend. Most people don't get all their daily nutrients through their diet even if they have a well-balanced diet and I feel taking a daily multivitamin adds some security to what I might have missed in my daily nutrition for any given day. Thank you too for the reminder about exercise. You have been very kind and helpful. Many thanks, XXXXXXX XXXX
Answered by Dr. Chobufo Ditah 1 hour later

Thank you so much for your encouraging words. I am humbled!

Please, if you have no more related follow up questions to this query, you may consider closing the discussion. If that be the case, please offer us a few minutes of your time to rate the answer and write a short review so that we can work on and better serve you next time.

I wish you the best of health.
Dr. Ditah, MD