Having continued bleeding after delivery. Can bulky ovary and thick endometrium lead to further complication?

Mar 2016

I am 31 years old and had a preterm delivery on the 19th Sep. After that my bleeding had started and they continued till date although it decreased to minimal amounts. The doctor advised me a pelvic scan. In the scan the report it came as that I had bulky ovaries with a right ovarian cyst measuring 35 * 24.4 mm and a thick endometrium with a tickness of 14.8mm. With this scenario will it lead to further complication for me conceiving again? Kindly advise
Posted Tue, 3 Dec 2013 in Pregnancy
Answered by Dr. S Patra 2 hours later
Brief Answer: DETAILS ARE GIVEN BELOW. FOLLOW THE GUIDELINE. Detailed Answer: Hello XXXXX, Thanks for writing to us. Followings are my comments: 1) Following delivery of baby, mild to moderate vaginal bleeding is common for first 6 weeks. If you are on EXCLUSIVE BREAST FEEDING, then bleeding will be minimized to stop naturally. In your case, it is continued more than 6 weeks and some additional investigations are required as mentioned below. In the mean time, you can take TRANEXAMIC ACID group of drug (like TRAPIC) to arrest bleeding completely. Maintain your genital hygiene properly to avoid infection. Take IRON and CALCIUM supplement to prevent anemia and combat overall deficiency. 2) Endometrial Thickness (ET) of 14.8 mm is slightly high than normal range in comparison to all phase of menstrual cycle. Here, I suggest you to undergo one histopathological examination of endometrium tissue following D & C to rule out endometrial hyperplasia. In such case, progesterone therapy may be given to regress endometrium and control abnormal uterine bleeding. 3) Bulky ovary or ovarian cyst (35 X 24.4 mm) on right side may cause improper ovulation which can lead to secondary infertility or conceiving problem to some extent in future if your cycle becomes irregular. Proper treatment with hormonal medicine (progesterone), low carbohydrate diet with more green vegetables, mild to moderate exercise regularly to control body weight and other supportive therapy are the key component to correct hormonal imbalance and regularize your cycle. In turn, they enhance your fertility and chance of successful conception. Kindly, visit to your gynecologist for follow-up examination and proper guidance of above mentioned tests. Take suggestive measures accordingly. Hope, I have answered your query. Let me know, if you need any clarification. Wish your good health and take care yourself. Regards, Dr Soumen For future query, you can directly approach me through WWW.WWWW.WW