Having constipation problem. Noticed dry stools. Got sinus and allergy. Help?

Dear Doctor

This is for my daughter who will be 4 years next month.

From the begining she was having constipancy problems and her stomach was not well and always has a dryness in potty but now since some months is ok ..

Now since 1 and half years she got cough,running nose and sneezing always.
pls let me know some home remedies or some known medicenes as in china we cannot buy indian medicene.

Some of doctors says she got sinus and allergie ,pls let us know how to prevent and what things we should avoid like perfumes etc..etc...

In summer also she get sneezing ,running nose n cough and in winter also same prb even in home is no start AC also if start also.

Pls advice and help us to solve this problem.

Thanking you
Posted Sun, 9 Jun 2013 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Shanthi.E 49 minutes later
I see that you are a concerned parent. Good.

Let me tell you this first. Nothing is seriously wrong with your daughter. So, please relax. All her problems are easily treatable and eventually she would grow up to be a healthy and active adult.

Coming to her problems -

1. I am glad the constipation has stopped.

2. Children in this age of 4 years are bound to develop cough, cold and sneezing. But it seems like this is more than normal in your child. This is concerning.

- The basic reason for this may be that her immunity is not well developed. So, you must improve her immunity now. You could give her multivitamin syrup like Syrup Zincovit around 7.5 ml once daily after food. You could purchase this medicine if available in China, or you could buy any pediatric Multivitamin supplements. This is available over the counter in China; you do not need a prescription for this. You could also purchase it online.

3. Home remedies - Give your daughter a small glass of milk everyday mixed with a pinch of Haldi (Turmeric) and XXXXXXX flower (saffron). This would boost her immunity and prevent recurrent cold and sneezing.

Yes, it definitely seems like sinusitis with allergy too.

How to prevent and what to avoid?

- Keep your daughter warm always with warm clothes. Expose her to sunlight everyday for a minimum of 20 mins.

- Give her only warm water to drink

- You must prevent her from anything that triggers her sneezing like dust, pollen, perfumes.

- Avoid refrigerated foods, cold foods, ice creams and cold drinks.

- Give her more of citrus fruits like lime, oranges.

- You could also give her spirulina powder to boost the immunity. This could be purchased online too.

Lastly, as your daughter grows, she would have more strength and immunity. Nothing to worry.

I hope this helps you. Let me know if you have more queries.

Wish your daughter a healthy long life.

Follow-up: Having constipation problem. Noticed dry stools. Got sinus and allergy. Help? 22 hours later
Dear doctor

Thank u so much and appreciate for ur kind reply.

I will sure try give her turmeric powder in milk and saffron.

Also noted n tks for other advices will give her vitamin suplementary things as well.

As usual today morning also she got up and started continiously sneezing for 6-7 times pls tell me what home remidies we can give her empty stomach or after break fast there any nasal spray we could give her is it harmful pls advice.

My home behind have grass maybe she allergetic for that confused.

Also i would like ask myself that i have too much of gastic problem as almost drink alcohol in 5 days a week,pls advice me what home remedies i could take that can help and give me immediate relief and what things i should avoid to eat i am a non vegetarian person always what ever i eat have a prb.

Answered by Dr. Shanthi.E 1 hour later

There are nasal sprays that contain Montelukast that could help your daughter. However, this cannot be used unless a Pediatrician or an allergy specialist confirms the cause.

Yes, probably she is allergic to the grass behind. Please get her evaluated by the specialist. She probably requires her IgE levels to be tested in the blood and accordingly the nasal spray could be started.

Regarding your concerns - you must consume curds daily. Eat non-spicy and bland food. You must also avoid non-vegetarian food daily and consume it only once a week. Drink plenty of water and fruit juices. Limit your alcohol intake.

You may start on antacid like Omeprazole. Please get it prescribed by your primary care physician.

Hope this helps.