Having constipation and bloating, blocked nose and white tongue. Are these related?

For the past couple of days I haven't been feeling soo good, I have constipation and bloating, a white tounge and my nose keeps blocking on one side and then it clears and runs down my throat, not sure if there all related. Many Thanks, XXXXXXX
Posted Tue, 22 May 2012 in Constipation
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 2 hours later
There are many things which can cause white coating on tongue such as:
1)Leukoplakia:In this white patches develop in the mouth including tongue.It usually develops due to irritation as in people eating tobacco.
2)Thrush:It is a yeast infection in white patches and can develop after taking a course of antibiotics.
3)Vitamin deficiency,poor oral hygiene is also a cause.
It can also be associated with nasal congestion which causes a dry tongue.
Constipation does not seem to be a related problem.
Drink lots of water.
Clean the tongue with Tongue scraper or with toothbrush itself.
Avoid smoking and caffeinated drinks as tea and coffee.
Have lots of yoghurt in diet.
If the coating is persistent then you might consider visiting a dentist for examination of the oral cavity to rule out any infection.
For nasal congestion, steam inhalation with a few drops of eucalyptus oil along with oral anti allergics like cetrizine or fexofenadine will be helpful.
In case the symptoms are persistent then you need an ENT examination to rule out paranasal sinus infection.
Constipation can be best relieved by foods XXXXXXX in SOLUBLE Fiber: Oatmeal or oat bran; Brown rice; Orange, grapefruit, XXXXXXX plantain
Foods that can act as laxatives: Prunes, figs, Psyllium husk, shredded wheat, flaxseed (oil), Senna, Cascara sagrada, Aloe vera juice, Dandelion root, Molasses, Liquorice, etc.
You may need a prescription laxative in case the dietary modifications do not help.
Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.