Having constipation. Took antibiotic for UTI. Now what can i do?

I am 28 and female. Currently having constipation, having not gone "#2" since morning of 11/21. Also concurrently had UTI 11/20 which is now relieved with antibiotics finished 11/23. Please help with how I should proceed; it's highly unusual for me to not go to the bathroom after 5 days (I feel well hydrated and I am not eating unusually large portions... even at Thanksgiving! I promise!)
Posted Sun, 16 Dec 2012 in Constipation
Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 1 hour later

Constipation with no passage of stools for 5 days is something which needs examination by a surgeon.

Since you had history of taking antibiotics which sometimes can upset the intestines and their motility, I suggest you to take a spoon of Psyllium husk or Castor oil in the night after food. The husk will help you by forming bulk of stools and relieve constipation, the oil acts as a lubricant and aid passage of stools.

If the above method fails then there is need for you to be examined. If no structural or cause for mechanical obstruction is found then the doctor may prescribe a laxative or plan for an enema if necessary to relieve the constipation.

Hope I answered your query. Let me know if there are any other concerns.