Having constipation. Did not had bowel movement and having sulfa taste burps. What to do?

Gastroenterologist, Surgical
Question
I have been having problems with constipation for years. I have not had a bowel movement for 5 days now, I am bloated and miserable also for the last 2 days I have been burping "sulfa tasting" burps. It reminds me of rotten eggs
Posted Tue, 3 Dec 2013 in Digestion and Bowels

Answered by Dr. Nitin Rao 26 minutes later
Brief Answer: Bowel movement Detailed Answer: I believe the medications that you are on makes you prone for constipation. If this is the longest time that you have not had your bowel movement for it does need some intervention. The simplest could be to start with a rectal suppository to initiate bowel movements or else an enema. Suggest you to talk to your physician/GP who would help you out with this. Take care

Follow-up: Having constipation. Did not had bowel movement and having sulfa taste burps. What to do? 18 hours later
Thank you for your answer, but since I know I have a history with constipation due to medications, I feel there is some thing else causing the "Sulpa taste" is it possible that the bread I am eating is reacting to enzymes in the stomach? Or possibly slower than normal digestion causing food to rot in the stomach? I know I need to see a Doctor to actually get a diagnosis and treatment, just wanting information to help me decide which type of doctor to see. Thank you for your time.

Answered by Dr. Nitin Rao 2 hours later
Brief Answer: General physician evaluation.. Detailed Answer: As the food moves slowly in the intestine, bacteria in the gut acts on the food particles to release hydrogen sulphide which should be responsible for the rotten egg smell while you burp. Please see your GP to start with. He/she may suggest you to see a Gastroenterologist later on. As you visit the GP start probiotic supplements. Hope this helps. Regards

Follow-up: Having constipation. Did not had bowel movement and having sulfa taste burps. What to do? 17 hours later
Thank you. It is a great help to be pointed in the right direction.

Answered by Dr. Nitin Rao 2 days later
Brief Answer: you are welcome Detailed Answer: Wish you good luck