Having constant runny nose, experiencing blurred vision. CT scan showed clear. Any suggestions?

ENT Specialist
I have had constant drainage from the left side of my nose for three years now. I also experience blurry vision, although there is nothing wrong with my eyesight. I have also had a CT scan to check for a pitutiary tumor but it was all clear. Any suggestions? Could I have a fungus problem?
Posted Tue, 23 Oct 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 48 minutes later

Thank you for your query.

1. The sinuses may harbor silent infection. Fungal infections may exist only within the sinuses (as against invasive fungal infections) and yet cause allergic reactions. This constitutes Allergic Fungal Rhino Sinusitis (AFRS). Another distinct entity is Eosinophilic Mucin Rhinosinusitis (EMRS). Such fungal infections may be missed out on CT Scans and requires MRI Scans to detect. You may take a trial of treatment including antibiotics, anti-allergic decongestants, saline nasal washes, mouthwashes, tongue cleaning, anti-reflux medication and probiotics.

2. Since your nasal discharge is one sided, oral infections, a foreign body, small polyps, tumors, inflammation including gum and dental (any recent root canal or dental extraction?), CSF rhinorrhea should be ruled out. Get the nasal discharge examined in a pathology lab.

3. Since you get blurry vision, you should get the nasal fluid collected in a sterile container and get it tested to rule out a CSF (Cerebro Spinal Fluid) leak. Get a Beta-2 Transferrin test on the fluid, if available. A simple test is the 'Handerchief Test': Normal nasal secretions contain mucus which will stain and stiffen a soft handkerchief on drying, but CSF will not.

4. Get a nasal endoscopy done. You may share the images (and your CT images) here.

I hope that I have answered your queries. If you have any further questions, I will be available to answer them.