Having constant pressure in throat, chest and feel the urge to burp. How to get relief?

Pediatrician, Infectious Diseases
I have a constant pressure in my throat and chest with the urge to burp to relieve the pressure. The burping relieves the uncomfortable feeling for a second but then the pressure is right back. NO burning at all. Just tight and very uncomfortable feeling. Pepto, gasx and tums do nothing to help at all.
Posted Sat, 20 Apr 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Hema Yadav 32 minutes later
Yes I understand your condition which is most probably an esophageal disorder or less likely globus hystericus.
In esophageal disorders like esophagitis, stricture esophagus or acid reflux or achalasia etc the symptoms might accompany some other symptoms like heartburn , indigestion , flatulent dyspepsia etc.Most of these disorders can be temporarily relieved by antacids ( esmoprazole etc) and if required treatment of associated conditions ( like h pylori infection).
In globus hystericus the anxiety of a person can cause such a lump like feeling , tightness without any gastric symptoms and in such cases relaxing and anti anxiety medications relieve the feeling .
The best step is to get yourself evaluated by a gastroenterologist to confirm the diagnosis by examination and if required , investigations like OGD endoscopy .
As for treatment, though you have tried OTC preparations for gastric issues it would be preferable to try prescription antacids and antiflatulents which could relieve the symptoms.In case there is no relief still and you seem to get other associated symptoms do seek prompt medical help.
Meanwhile drink plenty of fluids and try slow deep breathing or other relaxation techniques for decreasing your discomfort .In case you have difficulty
Hope that answers your query.
Please feel free to ask any further queries.