Having constant pain in ear. Cause and required treatment?

ENT Specialist
Question
I am having a "constant mild pain both my ears
Posted Sat, 30 Mar 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems

Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 1 hour later

Thank you for your query.

1. The ear is supplied sensation by many nerves which also supply sensation to the nose,face, oral cavity, teeth, throat, heart and stomach.

2. Hence this may be local cause or a referred pain.

3. To rule out any local cause get an ear examination (otoscopy) and get a PTA (Pure Tone Audiogram) and a Tympanogram (Impedance Audiogram) done. A Tympanometry test detects any changes in middle ear pressure and identifies any Eustachian Tube Dysfunction. This would cause a dragging type of constant, mild ear pain.

4. Have you had a recent cold, sinusitis or Upper Respiratory Tract Infection (URTI)? Are you in the habit of regularly cleaning your ears? Do your ears look 'squeaky' clean on examination? Do you have any Vertgo or Tinnitus?

5. If you XXXXXXX not have any other symptoms and if the examination and investigations are normal, then this is a referred pain.

I hope I have answered your query. If you have any follow up queries, I will be available to answer them.

Regards.

Follow-up: Having constant pain in ear. Cause and required treatment? 2 hours later
Dr Bhatti, l haven't gotten any of those tests done (I will now; for I am new to this problem). But let me give you a brief medical history (background):

1). In 1995 (because I was hit by the car) had surgery (fusion in my neck C5 and C6). I have not have had any problems since then

2). Then I was diagnosed as a pre-diabetic; and I got into a disciplined regime; brought my weight down to 155 lbs; and I am a vegetarian but cut down all the harmful diet (for diabetes). My A1C level is 5.6

3). In the meant time: I did develop "peripheral neuropathy" in my feet (I am going to get laser treatment done (in 3 months). Recently, while working out at the gym, did hurt my middle back (slip disc)? For which I am attended to by a Chiropractor and I am progressing well.

4). That brings me to my ear problem: about 6 months back, I began to feel "ticklish sensation" in my left inner ear (wanting to scratch but couldn't). Then tried local ENT doctors; Ayurvedic medicine from India (Dr Sreejit from Kerala); physical therapy. None of them helped.

5). Now that sensation in my left ear (that there is single hair moving in my inner ear); that sensation now has moved to right ear as well. Moreover, I am having "constant mild pain in the both the ears". And I am worried this is getting worse.

Please advice
XXXXXXX

Thank you for writing back.

1. The previous accident would not be related to this.

2. It is good to hear that your diabetes is in good control.

3. Peripheral neuropathy due to diabetes and hypertension can affect any nerve or blood vessel and hence it remains a probable cause.

4. Since the sensation is both sided, there n=may be a common cause. Do get the above tests done.

5. The ticklish sensation may be due to changes in ear pressure or irritation due to dry wax flakes.

6. In the meantime, use a homeopathic formulation known as Mullein Ear oil / drops to soothe the ear. You may also soak a cotton ear bud and gently wipe the external ear canal. Anti-allergics decrease itching and a trial with an anti-reflux medication may be helpful.

7. This is unlikely to develop into a serious condition.

Regards.

Follow-up: Having constant pain in ear. Cause and required treatment? 1 hour later
Dr Bhatti: so GRATEFUL for your prompt responses.

A little mor on my "patient history"

1). Some months back I did suffer from Vertugo (the world reeling); but after going through physical therapy (and doing the proven excercises, I forget the name), I haven't had any recurrence again.

2). In the mean time, one local doctor (unable to pin point my present condition) thinks it could be "ear PARESTHESIA". Again a term I never had known before

3). My struggle still is: to get to the bottom of this (which means nailing the exact cause--if that is possible); and then come up with a "treatment plan".

4). I have no hesitation to say (and say with much "gratitude"), your last two answers gave me more information and better insights than all those whom I had consulted--during the last several months.

5). So if it is related to peripheral neuropathy, like for my legs, is Laser treatment the best solution.

6). As far as "PARESTHESIA" it scares me.

Please help.
XXXXXXX

Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 23 hours later

Thank you for writing back.

1. Your vertigo was due to BPPV (Benign Paroxysmal Positional Vertigo) which is the commonest cause of peripheral vertigo. It responds to re-positioning exercises.

2. Paresthesia is the medical term for the tickling that you experience.

3. Your treatment plan should be as outlined in my previous answers.

4. Thank You, Sir, for your kind words. However the true success will be alleviation of your symptoms.

5. Before you try the laser treatment, take multi-vitamins and anti-oxidants which are neuro-protective and help injured nerves regenerate.

6. Paresthesia is troublesome issue and not a serious one. It arises due to irritation, pressure or mild damage to nervous tissue. Have you had any Nerve Conduction Studies (NCS) done?

Regards.