Having constant dehydration, headache and dizziness. What could be causing this?

Question
Hello. I'm asking on behalf of my fiancee. Lately he has been having constant dehydration (though he drinks plenty of water), dizziness, constant headaches, and on the odd occasion his vision gets murky. I am very worried about him and he says he doesn't have the time at the moment to get checked.
Posted Sun, 7 Apr 2013 in Headache and Migraines

Answered by Dr. Gopal Krishna Dash 1 hour later

Thanks for the query,

I understand your concern

I have noted your medical problem

The possibilities that your fiancée may be having are 1. Migraine headache 2. Tension headache. Please note that these are the diagnoses of exclusion, I mean other treatable causes of headache like brain infection, tumor, problem in the blood vessels of the brain need exclusion.

I advise you to get him evaluated by a neurologist who will examine and determine the need of a brain scan. If he scan comes normal, he will benefit with medications like amitryptiline, topiramate, valproate etc along with regular food & sleep habit, avoidance of stress.

If he has recurrent hypoglycemia, this will require independent evaluation by an endocrinologist who will help you establish the cause so that treatment will be easy

Hope this helps
Please get back to me if you have any concern

Best wishes

Follow-up: Having constant dehydration, headache and dizziness. What could be causing this? 1 hour later
But what about the constant dehydration? What does that have to do with all of this?

Answered by Dr. Gopal Krishna Dash 5 minutes later

Thanks for the feed-back

The causes of constant dehydration could be many. Some patients with migraine also do complain of the same issues. Other patients with autonomic neuropathy (a nerve problem) also have similar presentation. A remote possibility of anxiety related problem cannot be excluded.

As your fiancee has many problems, it is better to be examined by a physician so that the degree of problem can be ascertained.

Hope this helps
Please get back to me if you have any specific query in this issue
Best wishes