Having constant burping accompanied with slight pain in shoulder blades. Take nexium, lysine and lisinopril. Suggestions?

General Surgeon
I'm having a problem with constant burping, during waking hours, and no symptoms when awakening until I eat or drink something. It's frequently accompanied with slight aching between shoulder blades. I do have an old neck injury which might explain the aching on back. 56 years old, work out daily, take nexium, lysine, and lisinopril for high blood pressure. Not that it matters, but 2 knee replacements, and a hip replacement on resume as well,.....??????
Posted Fri, 23 Aug 2013 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 19 minutes later

Thank you for the query.

Constant burping can be a symptom of stomach issue or just a result of aerophagia (air swallowing). Aerophagia is usually caused by too fast eating, loose dentures, drinking carbonated drinks, chewing gum, smoking.
Stomach issues like Helicobacter Pylori infection, stomach inflammation or even peptic ulcer can cause burping as well. Burping and back pain (between shoulder blades) can be also caused by gallstones. You may also have nausea and upper middle or right abdominal pain with this condition.

I suggest you to try eliminate mentioned factors first. If it wont help, abdominal ultrasound and gastroscopy should be done.

Hope this will help. Feel free to ask further questions.
Follow-up: Having constant burping accompanied with slight pain in shoulder blades. Take nexium, lysine and lisinopril. Suggestions? 14 minutes later
Can coffee and/or alcohal cause issues in this situation, and are therew foods that are better? It's weird that after a few hours of sleep, symptoms completely disappear, until activity and day gets going. Also wondering about the mia type water enhancer sqeeze bottles I use frequently and have also used it if making a drink (vodka)???
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 9 minutes later
Both, coffee and alcohol have an impact to stomach condition. Coffee stimulates stomach acid secretion and stomach movements. Alcohol irritates stomach and gallbladder.
Mio Liquid Water Enhancer has rather nothing to do with your symptoms. However Vodka does.

During sleeping you do not eat. So all factors causing your burping are gone. That is why its good to try avoiding mentioned factors and see if it works.