Having collapsed colon, pressure and pain in diaphragm and abdomen is swollen. Bladder leaks and difficulty in urinating. Suggest remedy?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Jul 2016
Jul 2016

Urologist
Question
I have a collapsed colon and feel a lot of pressure pain builds upon my diaphragm causing me shortness of breath when walking. My abdomen is swollen.My bladder leaks and I have difficulty urinating. When I lie down, pain in the abdomen increases. It is very difficult to sleep as the pain and need to urinate awakens me frequently . I am tired all day long. The swollen abdomen started four years ago after several kyroplasties were performed on my spine for osteoporosis. This also made me numb from my waist down to my hips. My doctors have given me a colonosopy and endoscope and found no serious damage to my organs and no solutions. The leaking bladder started six months ago, as did the increase in pain and shortness of breath. What can be done to remedy this situation?
Posted Mon, 9 Sep 2013 in Men's Health

Answered by Dr. P. T. Patil 37 hours later
Brief Answer:
You may have what is called as Neurogenic Bladder.

Detailed Answer:
Hello

Apologies for the late reply. I shall be happy if you can post me few more details to help me comment on your problem better.
1) What treatment you had undergone for cancer of the prostate?
2) Are you taking any drugs now?
3) Do you have any weakness in lower limbs?
4) Do you leak urine on coughing, sneezing or it is continuous leak?
5) Can you hold on urine for some time or there is urgency?
6) How is your urine stream is it poor or normal?
7) Have you done your Serum PSA levels very recently?

Please do write what ever information is available with you; I would be able to address your concern.

Dr.Patil.

Follow-up: Having collapsed colon, pressure and pain in diaphragm and abdomen is swollen. Bladder leaks and difficulty in urinating. Suggest remedy? 9 hours later
It feels like the pressure from the colon is compressing the bladder so much that it can hold only a small amount of urine before it feels full.If I place my hands just below the swollen area and pull it up as much as I can, the pain in the abdomen decreases, and the feeling of pressure on the bladder almost disappears .

Answered by Dr. P. T. Patil 7 hours later
Brief Answer:
Pressure of colon will not cause bladder leak.

Detailed Answer:
Hello
Thanks for feed back .You have not furnished any details of your previous illness or information that will help me to make comments on your problem.
Please consult qualified Urologist for clinical evaluation and endoscopic examination of bladder (Cystoscopy) to rule out any lesion of the bladder or bladder neck stenosis.
Thanks and Regards.
Dr XXXXXXX

Follow-up: Having collapsed colon, pressure and pain in diaphragm and abdomen is swollen. Bladder leaks and difficulty in urinating. Suggest remedy? 2 hours later
I had an endoscopic examinationat the VA hospital in Fayetteville, Arkansas by one of their physicians in the Fall of 2013. No abnormal condtions were found in the bladder.

Answered by Dr. P. T. Patil 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Rule out Neurogenic bladder.

Detailed Answer:
Hello
Thanks for follow up.

If no abnormal pathology detected in the bladder, neurogenic bladder is very much likely. Pressure from the colon wouldn't cause urine leakage. Therefore at this instance I would order for urodynamic studies of bladder along with detailed evaluation by neurologist. It should provide your doctors useful information as to proceed with the next steps of treatment.

Hope this helps. Let me know if you need clarifications.

Dr.Patil.

Follow-up: Having collapsed colon, pressure and pain in diaphragm and abdomen is swollen. Bladder leaks and difficulty in urinating. Suggest remedy? 1 hour later
Thank. I am going to the VA hospital this Thursday and will proceed with the information you have given me. I also need a solution for the colon and swollen abdomen. What do you suggest?

Answered by Dr. P. T. Patil 8 hours later
Brief Answer:
Yes go ahead and consult Neurologist.

Detailed Answer:
Hello
Thanks for follow up.Please go ahead and consult qualified Neurologist for neurological assessment and Uro dynamic studies and hope we will find some solution for your problem.
As regards your swollen abdomen and colon review by a Gastroentrologist will be of much help.
thanks and regards.
Dr.Patil.