Having colic issues. Giving gripe water. Noticed tongue turned black. Should we be concerned?

Feb 2013

My 5 week old baby has been having colic issues so we recently started giving him gripe water in hopes of relieving him of the symptoms. Today after the second day of use we noticed his tongue has turned black. Should we be concerned?
Posted Mon, 29 Jul 2013 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. E Venkata Ramana 46 minutes later

Thank you for your query on Healthcare Magic.

Some parents have noticed their infants tongue turning into black or blue color after giving gripe water for colic issues.

But the change is temporary and the color changes to normal, so nothing to worry.

Are you giving any other drops like iron, which will stain teeth and tongue to black in addition to gripe water?

Stop giving gripe water for some time and observe the tongue.

If the color is not disappearing, consult the doctor for examination.

In mean time for colic, you can follow the measures for the relief of stomach pain:

1. Burp the child after each feeding.

2.Whenever he is crying with colic, hold him in upright position with his tummy
touching the parent shoulder.

3.Gentle massage in circular fashion over tummy.

4. Oral drops like colic aid can be given 5 to 6 drops during colic as and when

Hope I have answered your query, if you have any clarification please let me know.