Having cold with cough and congestion. Have bloating. Diagnosed GERD. Taking prilosec. Suggest?

About a month ago I had a bad cold with lots of coughing and conjestion. Towards the end of this, I started smelling a very strong gas type smell. It sort of smelled like sweet wood finish. This was what I was smelling for about three days. It seemed to come from (maybe) my stomach but up into my nasal passage. I also had some bloating. After about three days the smell was less but now four weeks later I still get "whiffs" of this weird smell. I also get some bloat. I was diagnosed with GERD some time back but never had these syptoms. Also, no heartburn or anything associated with this right now. I started taking prilosec two weeks ago but not much change.
Posted Wed, 14 Aug 2013 in GERD
Answered by Dr. Hari Om Chandrakar 1 hour later
As per your history you are having problem in your upper Gastrointestinal tract, and you started smelling gas type of breath from your nose, and you had also been diagnosed with GERD and having bloating sensation.

I think you are still having GERD as the symptoms are seen in some cases of GERD in which there is problem in upper part of the valve of the stomach which regulates the solids and liquid food to enter stomach.

You are rather advised to visit to a nearby General Physician and get some sphincter tightening drugs, a motility enhancing drug and a antacid liquid to control the problems.You are also advised to have a trial of antibiotic and also to get your Upper GI Endoscopy done , to recheck all these clinical facts.

Hope I have answered your query. If you have any further questions I will be happy to help.

Dr Hari Om Chandrakar